Wednesday, April 14, 2010

May is Bike Month in NYC

Take note: May is Bike Month in New York, a month long celebration of cycling.

Bike Month NYC has not posted any events yet but I contacted Transportation Alternatives and their response to my e-mail was: 

We will be launching the website in the third week of April. All of the events will be posted and available online. The print calendars will be distributed throughout the boroughs beginning next week. We hope that you enjoy Bike Month 2010!
I will be excited to see what events are happening this year.

Additionally, the organization's "bike tips" are pretty good. I was pleased to see that they posted bicycling laws, which included a reminder to all to not only wear a helmet but also not to ride on the sidewalks if you are over the age of 12 and not to wear headphones.One of my pet-peeves in this city is that so many people ride on the side-walks and I have seen dogs and people hit because the bike rider was unable to stop or they were wearing headphones and not paying attention. So while I try to keep this blog cheery and enthusiastic, I am also enthusiastic about personal safety and the safety of those around you... so please remember to wear a helmet, stay off the sidewalks and park foot paths and don't ride with headphones

And back to our regularly scheduled programing:

Bike Month NYC posted links on their web-site to NYC Century Bike Tour's bike rental page (very helpful if, like me, you do not keep your bike in town but occasionally find yourself wanting to feel the wind on your face and go for a ride).

And on a related note, please note that the NYC Century Tour event will take place on September 12, 2010 and registration is now open.

How do you plan on celebrating Bike Month??

1 comment: