Thursday, March 11, 2010

One of my Favorite Stores

Way to go New York Magazine for giving one of my favorite stores an awesome review!

In New York Magazines Best of 2010 issue they reviewed Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) as a great place to buy camping gear:
"EMS almost tripled its floor space when it opened this sprawling new store last spring, meaning there’s now ample room to display the kayaks, ice picks, tents, and backpacks that promise outdoor adventure. But it’s certainly not the only outfitter in town—Paragon has breadth of gear, while Patagonia has high-tech clothes. What distinguishes EMS is the passion and expertise of its staff, all avid outdoorspeople. You need a water filter for a camping trip? They’ll ask about the details of the trip, then walk you through the merits of each one and never try to up-sell you. Chances are they’ve already hiked/biked/camped wherever you’re going, so you might want to get some tips before you check out."
I couldn't agree more with New York Magazine's review found here. Every time I go into an EMS, whether it be in upstate New York, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut or here in town, I am struck by how much their employees care about outfitting you with the best gear and at the most reasonable price possible (and yes, EMS is much cheaper than REI, Paragon or Patagonia). Their staff members also genuinely participate in outdoor activities and they always have great suggestions when I ask for new and exciting ideas.

So I'll leave you to explore EMS's website, read more of New York Magazine's Best of 2010 and check out EMS's Soho location at 530 Broadway which is near Spring Street. Happy shopping!

2 comments:

  1. Hey- followed the link from EMS Facebook. Pretty cool blog. I am a volunteer hike leader with one of the meetups here in nyc.

    I agree w/ your review, I trust the folks at EMS and you can tell they stand behind their word with the amazing return policy. Can't beat it!

    They deserve some thanks once in a while, thanks for writing this.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,

    Thanks so much for your post! I would love to hear more about your meetup group...in fact I had just heard about Meetup and was going to do a post about it. But before I do a post, I would really appreciate your point of view. You can e-mail me at outsideinnewyork at gmail dot com

    Thanks also for mentioning their return policy. I agree, everything about that store is very customer friendly and I wish more businesses were like EMS.

    I hope you'll come back and comment often.

    Best,

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete