Monday, March 29, 2010

Side Note: Lily has more facebook friends than you do! (Rainy Day Activity)

Yep, that's right Lily (a black bear) has over 94,000 facebook fans (myself included).

I originally started this blog because because I don't believe there are enough resources out there for people who want to get outside in New York City. But, I also started Outside in New York because I believe that the more people learn about the outside world the more the more they will want to protect our natural resources.... Well, while I am all for getting outside and learning first hand, I am not about to go crawling into a mother bear's den! So I can't think of a better way to learn about these fascinating creatures:

The NABC (www.bear.org)  set up a webcam in the Lily’s den in Ely, Minnesota. She gave birth a few weeks ago and there was something of a baby bear pool going on over the date of her whelping (? not sure of the term for bears, going with the term for dogs) and how many cups she would have. 

You can watch her and cubs here (link). I warn you it is VERY addictive but also incredibly cute. I love it when her cubs make noise; it is a completely fascinating sound, an odd mix between a dog's bark, horse's whinny, cow's moo and rodent's squeaking.

You can become her facebook fan here (link).

Additionally click (here) if you want to join the NABC and support their mission.

Happy Watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment